Friday, July 30, 2010

Happy Birthday SCATTERSHOT, You Bitch...

Believe it or not, but this blog hasn't been as much work as I thought it would be. One post a week, every week for a year sounds like it might be a lot but its been quite manageable.

Of course there have been a lot of goofy ass pictures.

On this historic occasion, the one year anniversary of SCATTERSHOT, I want to first off congratulate my co-author Mike. Not only has Mike delivered each and every week (for a whole year!) but some of those posts were actually pretty good!

I kid. I kid.

Thought provoking? Hilarious? Insightful?

Check. Check. And Check.

I couldn't ask for a better co-author. Look, Mike's as busy as I am okay? He's got a lot of toenails to clip and salsa to make (with his feet) so the fact that he's hung in there for a whole year is really to be commended. I knew that we could PHYSICALLY do the blog, but I wasn't sure if we could do it MENTALLY.

Does that make sense?

Writing is my one great love (after Leah of course). I liken it to mowing the lawn. I don't like mowing the lawn, but I LOVE getting to relax after I've gone out and worked in the heat. Nothing tastes better than that first cold drink. Nothing feels better than that icy shower. Writing, for me, is like that. The act of writing is hard--it's a struggle that if I had my druthers, I'd just go ahead and skip. But without writing, I couldn't taste that cool, delicious victory. I wouldn't be able to savor that inner warmth that comes from completing a post (or a novel, which by the way, not to toot my own horn, but I finished my third a few weeks ago).

Loyal Wendleton-ites will no doubt know the story behind SCATTERSHOT. How I had another blog, where I bitched about so much personal shit that I ended up pissing off a bunch of people. This blog only pisses off the Westboro people, and honestly...what doesn't piss them off???

What does the future hold for SCATTERSHOT? Probably another year of semi-intelligent personal narratives and slightly humorous cartoons. I've always wanted to do a podcast and two weekends ago I brought it up with Mike (over really greasy hamburgers). He seemed excited by the idea, but it could have just been gas. I'm too stupid to figure it out...but if someone wants to call Mike and tell him how to set up a podcast I WILL BE THERE with my viking hat on!!!

Anyway, I would have quit a long time ago, were it not for Mike's perseverance. I actually thought about pulling a press conference "I am IRON MAN!" and announce in this post that I was done. But I can't quit, can I?

I love it too much.

Happy Birthday SCATTERSHOT. You bitch.

HappyB-DaySCATTERSHOT

6 comments:

Lrgblueeyes said...

The Cake is a Lie

Dr. Jason said...

LoL Leah. Nice Valve reference.

And that friends, is why I married Leah.

Michael said...

Congrats, friend! We did it. One year later, we made it through. There's been a lot of procrastination, but a lot of love too. And quite a few goddamned cartoons.

I'm proud of what we've done with this blog.

(*raises glass*) Here's to another fun-filled (read: cartoon-heavy) year of SCATTERSHOT!!!

And, yes, the cake is a lie...

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Scattershot!

Mom

Anonymous said...

Third novel!!? I haven't even been allowed to read the Mosquito Vine yet. I'm impressed. You're equal to me--three book length manuscripts, but that's if you don't count various blog series I've done.

Dr. Jason said...

Terri consider it a personal favor to you that I didn't let you read The Mosquito Vine.

It was very much a "first effort." Actually, Mike's only recently read my second novel. I'm up to 5 drafts on it now, and am trying to gather the courage to try and get it published.

If you want to read it I'll send you a copy.