Friday, July 16, 2010

Cartoons

My favorite historical figure, of all time, is Benjamin Franklin. Franklin was a true "Renaissance Man. " He did everything--he was a scientist, a historian, author, publisher, postman, inventor, politician, diplomat, etc. Nowadays people will tell you to "specialize" and focus on one thing...but I've always thought there was a place for the "jack-of-all-trades."

I'm a jack-of-all-trades.

One of the many interests I have is animation and comic books. I recently saw TOY STORY 3 with Mike, the other writer at this blog, and I loved it. I visit the local comic book shop at least one a month, and I watch cartoons. I'm not ashamed of it.

On my birthday I watched a Hayao Miyazaki film.

I'm kinda artistic, but I'm limited when it comes to drawing. That said, I've penned three different, multi-issued, comic books. The first was my "Tiny Batman" comic strip, which I created after my sister Amber got her first (yes, I said "first") Chihuahua. For some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to make a comic book about her dog dressing up as Batman. I did a couple of these. Sadly, none survive.

The second comic book I did a few years later. It was about a slacker-dude that looked like me (except he wore a viking hat) named George and a dinosaur named Timmy. The George and Timmy comic book was over 20 pages long, it was hand drawn by myself and had a pretty damn good plot (considering I was 19). I wrote it when the Olympics were in Australia (go look it up, I'm too lazy to do it) and the plot was that Timmy received a letter saying he was on the US Olympic team (but not which team) and he wanted to get to Sydney. I had another story idea where George and Timmy became ghost hunters, but my hand began to hurt from all the drawing so I gave up on it.

I would DO ANYTHING to see this comic book again. I have no idea what I did with it. I'm fairly certain that it's in a dump somewhere, because I threw it away in a fit of melancholy (yes, that happens to me sometime). But it's a crying shame, because I would love to scan it in and post it online. It was very funny and I spent several weeks on the drawings (which were some of the best I've ever done). Sadly, it is lost to the ages...much like the Holy Grail.

I did try and write a sequel a few years ago, though I only got the cover finished before running out of steam:

drawing 019

The third comic I've done is the SHEEPLE comic strip. I was at work, very bored and I had a bit of scrap paper in front of me. I was filled with political angst and no outlet--thus SHEEPLE was born. After I did the first post, I decided to turn it into it's own blog. I put out a few strips, then forgot about it/gave-up on it for a while. However when times get tough, or when the mood strikes me, I put out another one. If I tried to do this blog and the SHEEPLE blog I would HAVE NO LIFE. As sad at it sounds, coming up with one post a week is too hard--there is no way I could do both blogs. But damn if I don't try.

SheepleBLOGroll

Since I've been a reader I've read cartoons (or "the funnies"). CALVIN AND HOBBES and THE FAR SIDE are my two all-time favorite comic strips. There couldn't be two different strips, one is very warm and loving--the other sly and cynical. I love the philosophy and the art of CALVIN AND HOBBES, it's almost like comfort food for your soul. THE FAR SIDE, on the other hand, is (usually) one perfect panel. I'm also partial to a really old strip called KRAZY KAT, which is a little like both CALVIN and FAR SIDE.

I'm was an English major. I love Dickens and Fitzgerald--but I also love Watterson and Herriman. I think it takes a special person to convey story and emotion through both text and pictures.

My favorite American Cartoon is THE SIMPSONS which had been a litmus of friendship for me for over 10 years (Mike and I are friends because he knows the episodes by heart). I think that's the cartoon that really made it okay for grown-ups to like 'toons. Though I don't think it would have made it onto the air had there not been shows like THE FLINTSTONES (which was also "for adults").

Oh, that reminds me of CARTOON NETWORK!

When I was in Junior College (back in '02) every Sunday night was "Adult Swim" night. Me and my then-girlfriend would eat doughnuts and watch cartoons like AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE and SEALAB on the cable channel Cartoon Network. Vulgar, violent, and bloody, ADULT SWIM was funny as hell and a great way to start the week. Eventually, the night's popularity bled over to all the days of the week and the novelty wore a bit thin. I was shocked to find none of the guys in the dorm watched ADULT SWIM on Sunday nights after I moved to St. Louis...but so it goes. I still love subversive cartoons. There's something about a "naughty" cartoon that gets me all hot and bothered.

Ultimately, cartoons are like those cave drawings they found in France...in that cave...

You know the one. Anyway, I'm not ashamed to say that I fucking love cartoons.

2 comments:

Michael said...

It's too bad about those old comics of yours. The cover for George & Timmy Return seems to promise both adventure AND hilarity! I totally agree about trying to do two blogs at once; it's hard enough trying to be "creative" on a consistent basis without quality suffering.

But cartoons are amazing; they're the perfect marriage between art (drawing) and story. There's no searching for an actor with the right looks, or location scouting, or "how will I make that stegosaurus explode with only $30,000 left in my budget?" The possibilities are (mostly) limitless with animation.

Dr. Jason said...

You know, I just realized that I looked exactly like George this weekend (when I wore my Viking hat).

That's life imitating ART brother!