Friday, August 27, 2010

Happy. Apples.

As the weather gets a little cooler and the leaves begin to turn colors...the Happy Apples return to the store shelves.

I love Fall. I like how cool it gets (not too hot, not too cold). I like how the bugs go away (yuk). I like the back-to-school sales.

But I LOVE Happy Apples. When the apple harvest comes in, the farmers (i.e. the good folks over at Happy Apples Inc.) dip their precious fruit into creamy caramel and kissed with peanuts (or sprinkles if you prefer).

Last week my wife and I found the Happy Apples at our local supermarket--and I was in heaven. I haven't always been a H.A. super-fan, but for the past two years I've been more hard "core" about eating them. There's something special about fruit covered with candy, which is then covered with nuts. I think if I could eat only one thing, for the rest of my life, I'd choose Happy Apples.

The first bite is always a challenge, where to begin? Should I start in a nut-free bald spot? Or should I take "the plunge" and bite into that massive cluster of peanutty-goodness? Decisions, decisions. Maybe this sort of thing isn't your thing...I can understand. But for me, there's nothing better in life.

Happy Apples are also a really good way to trick kids into eating fruit. I always eat more of the apple than I would if it weren't slathered in sugar and nuts.

What else can I say? It's the food of the Gods! Oh Happy Apples, if I weren't married already...I'd marry you (and then eat you). I'm not sure anyone can truly understand the depth of my love for this sweet autumnal treat...

Seriously though, I've decided to keep track of how many I eat this year (so far six). The apples tend to vanish from the store shelves just before Thanksgiving. I think I can eat 50, I think that's a legitimate goal.

I'm going to keep working out (this is week four working out at the gym) but I'm also going to focus on eating Happy Apples.

ALSO, DON'T FORGET TO CHECK OUT THE SCATTERSHOT PODCAST! NEW EPISODE POSTING SATURDAY AUGUST 28, 2010!!!

4 comments:

Brittany M said...

I'm on the Happy Apple Bandwagon, too. I love Fall!

Dr. Jason said...

Love fall. I love it. How many Happy Apples are you planning on consuming this year?

Haven't thought about it, have you???

Brittany M said...

I've already had a caramel apple this season. Alas, it was not a Happy Apple, which is my favorite brand. But still pretty tasty. I imagine I'll consume about 15 or so....

Dr. Jason said...

15 or so? I'm disappointed. You need at least a bushel. Brit, these things aren't sold all year...so you have to eat a year's worth in the two months or so that they're sold.

That reminds me, I need to go to the store...