Friday, December 11, 2009

A Good, Old-Fashioned, Jewish Christmas

FULL DISCLOSURE: AS I WROTE THIS, I WAS LISTENING TO BOB DYLAN SING “HAVE YOURSELF A MERRY LITTLE CHRISTMAS” OFF HIS NEW CHRISTMAS ALBUM: CHRISTMAS IN THE HEART (WHICH I ASSURE YOU IS A REAL THING).


As you can probably tell, this is going to be different. For starters, I feel as though I must preface this post by saying that I’m not a religious person—and it’s my parents fault. I never went to church, both my Mom and my Dad found “Church” to be creepy and hypocritical. They were right, and I don’t blame them for keeping both myself and my sister away from Organized Religion.

Both my parents believe in the basic tenant of “God will be cool as long as you live a good life.” Christians will say (and have told me when I’ve repeated this) that unfortunately that isn’t good enough. In fact, I had one spit-frothing-Christian once shout at me that “your good works are dirt in the eyes of the Lord.”

Well shit. Here I was NOT killing this spit-frothing-asshole because I didn’t want to piss-off God…and he was telling me that it didn’t matter. Jesus said “I am the way” to which I reply “That’s your opinion.” I wasn’t raised with that as a core belief, and many people I know who WERE turned out to be assholes (some of them spit-frothing). Ever the antagonist, I feel that if that really is how God is, I want no part of Him.

But I think that’s a lot of bullshit. After all, if you’re not raised with religion…God hates you? You go straight to Hell if you’re born in China (where Christianity is a no-no)? That’s a billion people going to Hell because of Geography? I think not.

And like I said, if God really would damn say, the Indians of pre-Columbus America to fiery damnation simply because they were born in an era where GOOD CHRISTIANS were unable to reach them...well then I don’t want to hang with God.

So growing up my life was pretty religion-free, but my Dad works for Hallmark so we were VERY big on holidays. Holidays are good. They bring people together, they stimulate the economy. They…uh…give us time off from work and/or school?

Christmas was one of those holidays where I was excited about the PRESENTS but leery of the “trappings” of Christmas (the “reason for the season” if you will). I don’t need to tell you that every TRUE Christian knows that Christmas is a holiday co-opted from the Pagans. And that Jesus was NOT born on the 25th of December. Basically, Christmas is just an excuse for a party. Now, I’m always cool with parties….except when they depress the hell out of me.

And that’s what Christmas has degenerated into. To be brief: Christmas depresses me because I don’t have enough money to buy the people I love the things I feel they deserve. It depresses me because I always spend too much money. It depresses me because the gifts I get are crappy, thus making me feel ungrateful. It depresses me because it makes me yearn for childhood, when Christmas was wonderful and magical.

When it was ALCOHOL-free Egg Nogg and fuzzy slipper. Back when Santa was real, and I didn’t have to think about SATAN (and how 90% of this country thinks I’m going to hell because of a parenting choice).

So this year I’m “Skipping Christmas” (to reference a bad John Grisham novel, oh wait—they’re all bad…never mind).


I’m going to have a GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED Jewish Christmas. Now, before I tell you what that is and what that means (it’s fucking wonderful kids) I feel that I need to address my parents:

“Mom, Dad. I love you both and I know you’re disappointed that I’m not coming home this year. I’m sure a part of you (just a part, a small part because you’re both really cool) thinks that this has something to do with me marrying a Jewish girl. And you’re right; it DOES have something to do with it. But you see, just because you’re BORN into one thing doesn’t mean that you weren’t really MEANT for something else. I love you, and I’m coming home for Cousin Jimmy’s (I’m sorry “James”) holiday party this weekend…but I’m not coming home for Christmas. I’m having a GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED Jewish Christmas here in St. Louis.”

Okay. I feel like they might still blame my wife on some level, but there’s nothing I can do about that. When I say a “Jewish Christmas” I bet a lot of you are thinking “Ebenezer Scrooge.” Well nothing could be further from the truth! You see, much like me, the Jews of the World don’t really dig on Christmas either. And on this day, 90% of the US “disappears” into lame family parties and long, snore-ous sermons/services.

The heavens part, and so do the crowds!

“But Jason,” I hear you say, “nothing is open on Christmas Day!”

Ah, there you are incorrect my friend. There are two things that are open SPECIFICALLY for Jewish Christmas: the movies and Chinese restaurants. Apparently, as my wife has explained to me, Jews get up early…go to the movies (more than one show! *squeal*) then gorge themselves on crab-rangoon.

Sign me the fuck-up. Sorry Jesus, but you lost me at “movies” and “crab-rangoon.” So that’s what I’m doing. I’m going OUT on CHRISTMAS with my wife to see a crap load of movies and eat chow mein.

“Joy to the World.”

14 comments:

Michael said...

I have to admit, I'm 113% jealous of you. What I wouldn't give to be able to dive into some lo mein and watch movies all day on Baby Jesus's Birthday. But, if I can't do it, I'll just have to live vicariously through you this year. So be prepared.

Dr. Jason said...

Your jealous is like sweet, sweet nectar...

Don't be too jealous. I found out this weekend that my folks are going to visit us out HERE in STL-Land that weekend (day after X-Mas).

So I'm not getting 100% off the hook...

Dr. Jason said...

Also, no comment about the "Dr. Jason" thing? Seriously???

Lrgblueeyes said...

You can't be Dr. Jason, you don't believe in Science.

Michael said...

I didn't have the slightest clue where to begin with "Doctor" Jason... It almost sounds like the supervillain in some retro comic book. Doctor Atom Attacks!, or Beware the Withering Wrath of Doctor Meningitis! Something along those lines.

Dr. Jason said...

I love how people (not you or me Mike) never comment on, what I consider to be, the funnier posts on the blog.

WTF people?

Michael said...

I know. Oh well. I GUESS I'LL JUST KILL MYSELF IF PEOPLE DON'T START COMMENTING...

THAT'S RIGHT, KILL MYSELF

Dr. Jason said...

!

Hey, if that works...I'm gonna...I'm GONNA WATCH MIKE KILL HIMSELF IF PEOPLE DON'T COMMENT. I SWEAR TO GOD, I'LL WATCH HIM DO IT...

Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW.

ur Mom

Dr. Jason said...

Yeah...if that disturbs you...you might want to avoid my X-Mas day post this week.

I'm not going for "wholesome." More like "insanity."

Anonymous said...

Why??? you know how much your words hurt people??? I think U need to think before U pen sometimes, love U always dad

Dr. Jason said...

I guess I'm weird, because I don't see anything that would "hurt" anyone in this post. Now if I'd written this WITHOUT saying 100%/ALL OF THIS to your faces on numerous occasions...then I guess I could see that.

Anonymous said...

Michael go back to being jealous the weather man says a BIG snow coming to KC so Jason might be 100% off the hook this Xmas

Dr. Jason said...

Hey--never said I don't want to see you guys. And if you come out, it'll be on SATURDAY (not X-Mas, right?). So everyone wins. I win. You win. The Yankees win.