Friday, June 18, 2010

Toy Story

Although I’m nearly halfway through living my twenties, I have yet to grow up. I say this because, as anyone who knows me can attest, I have few of the qualities that grown men exhibit. Not only might I reach my middle-age living out of the same bedroom in which I grew up, but the majority of my income goes not to health insurance premiums or electric bills, but rather to things that entertain me.



Aside from the standard fare of movie ticket stubs and video game discs, my purchases occasionally can go a step further into rather embarrassing waters.



Take, for example, an instance not long ago when I was walking around a department store. I’d originally gone to pick up replacements for several tattered pieces of clothing with split seams and stains I’d somehow convinced myself were still good enough to wear. I walked in with every intention of marching straight to the men’s department, but thanks to my cat-like curiosity and the insatiable need to look at things I have absolutely no reason to buy, I wound up snaking my way around the store, ending up in the toy department.



It was a couple months before the release of the Star Trek motion picture directed by J.J. Abrams, and the merchandising was out in full force. Not only were there colorful graphics placed above the aisle sections dedicated to tiny plastic phaser-wielding figurines, but entire endcaps had been erected in honor of what had been one of my all-time favorite childhood shows.



As a youth, I would fantasize not about scoring a winning touchdown in a Superbowl game, but rather I’d imagine myself commanding a spaceship, fending off an alien invasion and saving a distant planet. One of the main elements of my dream future was the spaceship, and so when I stood before the endcap and saw that there was a plastic replica of the iconic spacecraft from the movie, I had to have it.



Picking it up, however, I only stood there, considering myself. Here I was, standing in a toy department, well into my twenties and about to buy a toy rather than some much-needed clothes. Was I crazy, I had to wonder, for being stuck on such a choice?



My friend Michael shares a passion for collectibles, especially those of the science fiction kind. He once told me that, upon finding a toy that caught his eye, he decided to buy it. When his cashier bagged the item up and announced his total, she asked, “Did you need a gift receipt with that?”



“No,” Michael answered firmly, as if he were making a stand. “No, I don’t.”



I thought about him as I worried the box with my hands, wearing away at the edges of the packaging like a nervous thief. My feet shuffled back and forth, as if toeing an imaginarily line between justification and utter madness.



So what? I thought finally, and I walked up to the checkouts.



To this day, I have nowhere to move. I have no savings to speak of. All I have is a plastic light-up spaceship sitting on a bookshelf. That, and the hope that, if I can’t one day fly through space, defending alien civilizations, I can — at the very least — grow up.

5 comments:

Dr. Jason said...

I've told the story so many times about buying my model Enterprise with our wedding money--so I won't tell it again.

I will say that you shouldn't grow up, Mike. All the grown-ups I know are boring.

Lrgblueeyes said...

Awesome, I had a similar experience this week with my father.
We were trying to find something to do this week for Father's day and he asked me if there were any movies I wanted to see. I told him I wanted to see Toy Story 3. I said it was a cartoon and he asked if it was an adult cartoon. When I said no he said something along the line of I can't believe your still watching that stuff. Anyway we are going to see Wicked at the Fox instead.
I don't think I will ever grow up. Though I try not to buy or keep to many toys around since they are evidence. This is not easy though since I am married to Jason.

Dr. Jason said...

For the record, WICKED sucked. Give me Judy Garland any day of the week (and twice on Sundays).

Boring. Stupid songs. Dumb idea (oh! the good witch is a dumb blonde! The Wiz is an animal hating monster!). Please. I shit better musicals and flush them down the toilet.

Yawn.

But seriously...I'm not a fan.

Michael said...

Have I ever told you the story of how I slept (yes, SLEPT) through Wicked at the Fox?

Good times. Good times.

Dr. Jason said...

No, you've never told me that story before but I'm interested in hearing it.

Not that falling asleep during that show is too shocking.

Do you ever feel bad when you find out you don't like something really popular? I feel like an alien or a freak when I see a show or read a book and think "what the hell is the appeal of this?"

I mean, I don't really like Harry Potter, but the books are well written and I can see the appeal. But WICKED? I don't get it.

Someone explain it to me.